Happy Thursday my loves!
I have really enjoyed writing up these Backyard Travels with JT and today I am transporting us back to Avon, NC. This was my first time actually staying in Avon, and I loved it. In the past I have stayed at a family friends home in Buxton, so it was a nice change of pace and scenery. This house also had a pool, which I think is an absolute must because even though you have the sound and the ocean to choose from, you can swim there all day everyday. It’s especially great if you are traveling with kids because its safe and convenient. One thing I love to do while traveling is ask any locals what their favorite place to eat is, and what their favorite thing to do during their free time is. We got a lot of great recommendations this trip and most of the places did not disappoint. I hope you enjoy Avon just as much as we did!
:: Where to Stay ::
As I mentioned in my previous post we rented a house here in Avon through the Surf or Sound Realty which would be my first recommendation. However, if all you want to do is get your toes wet and start small, I have asked around and researched the best places to stay Resort/Hotel wise in the Avon area.
1. Koru Village Resort and Spa – This place has so many amazing amenities to it! Plus it is on the higher end scale.
2. Avon Motel – You’ve got a bed, you’ve got a beach…what more do you need.
3. Sands of Time Camp Ground – for the more rustic travelers.
:: Where to Eat ::
It’s not that I just like to eat, but I love to eat and I appreciate food…any and all food. So this is usually the number one thing I research before I travel. Obviously you can find fresh, yummy, amazingly delicious fish and seafood anywhere in the Outer Banks. But here it’s with out the outrageous price points. The following were by far my favorite places for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert.
Typically we made our own breakfast at the house but these places were also super delicious.
1. Oceana’s Bistro (Great for Breakfast, Lunch, & Dinner)
1. Top Dog – This place is a town away in Waves, however it is the closest to Avon which is why I am including it here. They have amazing fish tacos!
2. Froggy Dog – This place was pretty much our go to. Big bar area, tv’s which was crucial since it was the Stanley Cup Playoffs. GO HAWKS!
1. Pangea – I absolutely loved this place. It is right by the Avon Pier, has an awesome ambiance, AND of course great food. There is a park in the back, a beautiful beer garden and the night we ate there, they had a stand up comedian on the patio. Two thumbs up for sure.
2. Catch 55 – make sure to get there early, or later. Place fills up fast.
Last but not least, dessert. Now there is a Dairy Queen, and it was walking distance from our house, which we did frequent for the first two nights there since the Jurrasic Blizzard was all the rage. But then my sister-in-law found this magical pink and orange house that had THE best desserts, we refused to search for anything else in the area!
1. Island Time Cups & Cones
Butter Pecan Ice Cream…my favorite…of all time!
:: What to Do ::
1. Avon Pier: You have to pay to get on the actual pier, but you can fish without getting a license. We also posted up there one day underneath the pier for shade while we played in the sand, went boogie boarding, and watched the surfers.
2. Water Sports: You can rent anything you want through Ocean Atlantic Rentals, whether it be bikes, kayaks, SUP boards, etc. They also have tons of awesome Rental shops with local’s who are great at giving lessons. For instance, the one thing I wanted to try but couldn’t fit in time wise was kite-boarding. Different from wind-surfing, which is another awesome thing to try out on the sound. The sound is a great, safe and easy place to learn, mostly because it is very shallow, but also because of the way the wind flows through there you can get an epic ride 100’s of yards out. You can learn more about the different water sports and lessons here. This was the best place in the Avon area I read about.
3. Beach It- There are so many different beaches to choose from. Some smaller ones on the sound side, and pretty much the whole east side of Avon is a beach on the ocean, duh! Just make sure to bring an umbrella, the sun’s game is strong there! We mostly hung out at the beach by the Avon Pier, which was nice since it had the outdoor showers, and a bathroom.
4. Klub Koru – The house we rented has a standing membership with the Klub Koru so we had access to all the amenities without having to pay an extra fee. This is definitely an unbelievable resort and definitely worth looking into. They offer Yoga classes on the beach, concerts, and beach club parties for adults and teens, so the whole family can enjoy.
5. Relax! This is an obvious one, yet I feel people always need to have a set itinerary and every second of everyday has to be utilized. Let me just say, we packed in a ton of activities, but our favorite days were just sleeping in, having breakfast, getting out on the sound via SUP board or kayak, and then just swim and lay by the pool all day. Letting your mind turn off and just finding balance in your life is the best thing a person can do for themselves and those around them.
And of course, you do not want to miss the epic sunsets the Sound Pamlico has to offer!
Thank you so much for stopping by and going back to Avon with me. These photos are making me miss it real bad. I hope you loved it as much as we did, and please if you have been there or have any questions, please leave your comments below. I would love to know!