Happy Wednesday my loves!
It’s finally here…Part 3 of Backyard Travels in the OBX. I’ve grouped Buxton, Frisco, and Hatteras all in one post because they are pretty much on the same ‘Island’, but also this is where I have vacationed more than a few times at a family friends beautiful home. It’s always amazing to me when I go on vacation here because it seems so small, yet there is always something new, fresh, and fun to do. While we were on our travels this time, we had the babies with us and found even more fun things to do that I previously never knew existed. Listen, age is just a number, kids know how to have real fun, and that is exactly what we did. I hope you do to, enjoy!
:: Where to Stay ::
Like I have said in my previous posts, rentals are the way to go when you visit the OBX but these hotels/motels definitely peaked my interest.
1. Lighthouse View (Buxton)
2. Cape Hatteras Motel (Buxton)
3. Inn on Pamlico Sound (Buxton) Great Wedding Spot
4. Ivey Coast (Hatteras)
5. Villas of Hatteras Landing (Hatteras)
:: Where to Eat ::
1. Diamond Shoals Restaurant (Buxton) and they serve SUSHI!!
2. Sandbar & Grill (Buxton) Great for watching the Sunset.
3. Rusty’s Surf and Turf (Buxton)
4. Gingerbread House Bakery (Frisco) Funny combination, but they had amazing pizza and awesome pastries/coffee. Double whammy in my book!
5. Scotch Bonnet Fudge and Gifts (Frisco) As seen on the Food Network and yes it is worth going to for gifts and of course the fudge.
6. The Wreck (Hatteras) Great place to grab a cocktail while you do a little (or a lot) of shopping before hopping on the ferry to Ocracoke.
7. Dinky’s Waterfront Restaurant (Hatteras)
:: What to Do ::
1. Deep Sea Fishing – There are a ton of Marina’s but we went through Hatteras Harbor Marina and fished on the ‘Lucky Chip’ with Captain Neff. I personally love to fish, especially deep sea fishing so it is a must for me when traveling. Its beautiful, relaxing yet exciting, and you get to eat your catch once you’re done. Completely rewarding if you ask me!
2. Mini Golf and Go-Carting – Yes I know, we traveled across country to do something that essentially we could do everyday back home. But let me tell you, we had SO much fun, and it was the perfect outing with all of the little ones.
3. Shopping – Most of the stores around here are gift stores, but I’ve found some of the most eclectic pieces from jewelry, to pottery, and even art. Just drive down Rt. 12 and stop at the first shop that looks interesting. It’s what we always do.
4. Light House Climbs – Research it, you’ll thank me later!
5. Seaworthy Gallery – I have not been here but this is something that is high on my list.
:: Best Beaches ::
1. Cape Point (Hatteras) This is where you can see the famous Light House.
2. Frisco has great 4×4 beach driving and recreation. There is also a spot that is right off Rt. 12 that has a nice bathroom and showers to clean up after all the salt, sand, sun and fun.
3. Right across from this spot in Frisco you have the Pamlico Sound, which as we heard from a local, is the perfect location to go kite-boarding. I’m sure also for SUP boarding and kayaking. However, you will have to rent them beforehand.
Thanks for stopping by, I really really appreciate it 🙂
I hope that you’ve been enjoying this series of Backyard Travels with JT. Traveling is such an important aspect of my life and I hope that I am inspiring others to take that trip they’ve been dreaming about going on. Traveling is more than just a luxury, there’s inspiration to be had, culture to be learned, people to meet, new languages to learn, hearts to be stirred, desires to arise, respect to be gained. But most importantly I think it personally helps us as humans grow…within ourselves, but also with the world and the people we share it with.
I have one more part for my travels in the OBX and that is Ocracoke. Till then…